Great Strides 5k Run/Walk
Last Year's Event: NOVEMBER 5th, 2011
Photo of out AMAZING CF participants!! Photo Credit: Laura Powers:)
Breathe Hope is privileged to host Great Strides, one of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's most recognized fundraisers. In cities all across the United States, tens of thousands of people gather together to show their commitment to “adding tomorrows everyday” to the lives of those with cystic fibrosis through the simple act of walking. Since the first Great Strides walk in 1989, more than $180 million has been raised to support the vital research and care programs of the CF Foundation. Breathe Hope is the only student organization in the United States that brings the event to a university campus. Due the nature of our campus, Great Strides was modified to a 5k run/walk.
Over 200 participants joined our efforts in 2011 towards finding a cure. In conjunction with corporate sponsorship, Great Strides was made possible through an individualized letter writing campaign. Breathe Hope would like to express our gratitude to our friends and family that donated. Breathe Hope was able to give the Foundation a check for $14,278 in 2007, $8,500 in 2008, $30,000 in May 2010 and $17,000 in Nov. 2011. Great Strides College Station would not have been successful without the commitment and dedication of Breathe Hope members, supportive family, and friends.
Great Strides College Station was held in loving memory of Lindsay K. Widener, Class of 2005. Many Aggies and community members participated as supportive cystic fibrosis family and friends. We honor others that have lost their battle with CF and applaud those who are currently fighting this disease.
Fifth Annual Great Strides College Station, NOVEMBER 3RD, 2012!
Breathe Hope and the CFF would greatly appreciate your participation and support for Great Strides College Station 2012, on November 3rd at Research Park, on the Texas A&M University campus. Please contact us if you would like to be involved in any way, may it be running the race or helping run the event! We need and greatly appreciate all of your support.
This year, we hope to have our most successful event yet. Our members are dividing into four committees: Registration & Letter Writing, Public Relations, Silent Auction & Food, and Entertainment & Set Up. For our silent auction, if you know anyone that has a craft-making talent, or if you would like to donate some of your own time and talent, please contact us! At Great Strides we will be having lots of free food, drinks, entertainment by DJ Freedoms, an incredible silent auction, and tons of fun!
This event could not be possible without the generous support of our friends and community. Thank you, and see you on November 3rd!
Details for Great Strides on November 3rd, 2012:
- Pre-Registration: $15 -- through Breathe Hope members or at one of our registration tables during the week of October 29th - November 2nd (@ the REC, Rudder Fountain, and the Commons from 10AM-3PM)
- Registration on November 3rd: $20
- Check-in: 8:30a.m.
- Kick-off: 9:30a.m.
- Location: Research Park, located off Mariner Drive in College Station, Texas
HOW DO I SIGN-UP?
If you do not know a member of Breathe Hope to sign-up with, or cannot make it on campus during sign-up week, please follow these instructions!
- Go to www.CFF.org, and click Great Strides on the left-hand side
- Under "Register Now", find the Texas Gulf Coast Chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- After clicking "Find a Walk", you will then see the College Station Great Strides at the top of the list!
- After clicking "Register", you may sign up as an individual walker, or as part of a team!
- If you would like to sign-up under a team, you may pick any one from the drop-down menu.
- And finally, please make sure to donate AT LEAST $15 to cover your running fee! THANK YOU!!!
Parking lots 110 and 113 will be free of charge on the day of the event.
A map of the route may be seen here: www.transport.tamu.edu/specialevents/maps/FunRun/lv50_5K.pdf
Please feel free to bring your dog if you would like!